The first step to understanding your GDPR compliance risk is to perform a website GDPR compliance check. This is the first, and perhaps most important of the five key activities outlined in our Website GDPR Compliance Checklist.
Checking your website's GDPR compliance is easy and anyone can do it, just follow the following steps.
- Open the GDPR website compliance checker in a new tab or window
- Enter the url of your website's home page (e.g. https://www.example.com/) and click Scan Now to start the GDPR compliance check. This may take a minute or two depending on the compliexity of your website.
- The website check results will be summarised as either No Issues Found, or Action Required.
- Should there be no issues found, then you can relax a little and leave this tutorial here. Now you just need to ensure you've addressed everything else listed in our GDPR compliance checklist.
- If action is required, click on Get the Compliance Kit and set up your username and password when prompted.
- The tag scanner will attempt to automatically locate the HTML code in your templates that deploys script and image tags. The next screen will show you a list of tags and images detected and, in most instances, the HTML code responsible for it.
- Review each entry shown in the results list and choose whether it needs to be an opt-in option for site users. Select a category and click "Add to Tag Manager" for those that will be deployed via opt-in consent.
Consider the following when deciding whether or not a tag should be added (note that examples are not exhaustive):
- Once you've reviewed your results, categorised and added tags to your tag manager, click next and follow the instructions provided to add out HTML snippet to your website templates and remove the newly managed HTML code from your templates. Refer to our instructions on how to find HTML in your website templates if you encounter any problems.
- Next, customise your display screens by adding your own logo, selecting the type of consent window to display (see our post What type of GDPR Opt-In Consent Popup should I use?), choosing your geographic targeting and nominating an email to receive GDPR Data Rights Requests lodged via the GDPR Data Rights Request Widget that comes with the Compliance Kit.
- That's it, now all that's left to do is a quick sense check of your settings, then hit Publish now to activate your changes.
If you run into any snags, you may also contact EziGDPR for support using the details provided inside the user area.
We hope this helps you easily get your website GDPR Compliant!